Do you like to drink yogurt? Do you know what makes a yogurt, or what composes a yogurt so it will be that dessert 😋 you loved?
Or, what is it's difference from fresh milk you may asked? Learn what made up yogurt and see the benifit of it not only in reducing weight.
" Yogurt," according to Wikipedia , " is made by heating milk, to a 85 degree temperature that denaturates its proteins by (scalding), essential for making yogurt, cooling it to a temperature that will not kill the live microorganisms that turn the milk into yogurt, inoculating certain bacteria (starter culture), usually Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobaccilus bulgarius.
So a yogurt was produced, by culturing these two bacteria. The bacteria is known as live cultures, and fermentation of lactose produces lactic acid that acts on milk proteins and gives the yogurt it's texture and tart flavor.
Types of Milk used for Making Yogurt
According to some South Indian native, there is no day that pass without yogurt in their dishes. And every family in India, eat and made their own yogurt. They used these type of milk either from cow, goat, mares, carabao or camels and ewes.
1. It may be homogenized-meaning, the milk is pumped and pressurized while the fat is reduced. The lower the fat, the thinner the yogurt.
2. It may be pasteurized-boiled into some temperature that can kill pathogens or germs in a raw milk.
3. A raw goats milk or carabao milk. Raw milk can contain pathogens such as Campylobacter, E. coli O157:H7, Salmonella, Listeria and other disease-causing bacteria. But, a native Indian prefer yogurt made from raw milk, as it is extremely nutritious, extremely creamy and extremely delicious.
Method in cooking yogurt:
1. Temperature needed : The slow your heat is, or fire, the better. Heat the milk at 85 degree Celseus or 110degree Fahrenheit. Let it cool. Then when it curds add to the raw milk.
2. Ratio ; 1tbsp starter (curd) : 1cup of raw milk
4. Your yogurt is set if you have that yellow layer on top of the mixture. Because this milk is not homogenized, the cream rises to the top. It's ohh-so-delicious and a choc full of good bacteria that bring your system together